Our website uses cookies to improve and personalise your experience and to display advertisements(if any). Our website may also include third-party cookies like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, and Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We have updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.

Central African Republic war crimes suspect surrenders

Central African Republic war crimes suspect surrenders

The International Criminal Court (ICC) said the former Central African Republic's militia leader Maxime Jeoffroy Eli Mokom Gawaka had been surrendered to the court by the authorities of Chad for crimes against humanity and war crimes. Mokom, a national coordinator of the so-called anti-balaka militias, is accused of crimes against the Muslim civilian population in the Central African Republic (CAR), including murder, torture, extermination and the use of child soldiers. CAR has been mired in violence since a coalition of mostly northern and predominantly Muslim rebels known as Seleka, or "alliance" in the Sango language, seized power in March 2013.…
Read More
Bashir ally would prefer ICC to Sudan court for Darfur trial

Bashir ally would prefer ICC to Sudan court for Darfur trial

ONE of the key people accused of war crimes and genocide in Darfur in the early 2000s said yesterday he would prefer to be tried in front of the International Criminal Court (ICC) rather than what he said were biased Sudanese courts. Ousted President Omar al-Bashir has for years resisted the ICC warrants against him and four close allies over the conflict in Sudan's western region that killed an estimated 300,000 people and drove 2.5 million from their homes. They face charges at The Hague of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity for atrocities committed by pro-government forces in…
Read More
Rwandan genocide suspect Kabuga pleads not guilty at U.N. court

Rwandan genocide suspect Kabuga pleads not guilty at U.N. court

A United Nations court has registered a plea of "not guilty" for Rwandan genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga at his lawyer's request after he remained silent during his initial appearance. Kabuga, 85, appeared frail and did not respond to questions from judges. He was arrested in France in May after decades on the run and transferred to a United Nations detention centre in The Hague on October 26. "We have talked about this with Mr Kabuga before the hearing and he does not wish to answer in these conditions. I would appreciate it if you would consider his non-response as a…
Read More
Rwandan genocide suspect in detention in The Hague

Rwandan genocide suspect in detention in The Hague

RWANDAN genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga is in custody in The Hague after his transfer from France following a United Nations court order. Kabuga, who was on the run for 22 years until his arrest in France in May, will soon be brought before a judge, the United Nations tribunal said in a statement. Last week a U.N. judge ordered his transfer to the Netherlands, rather than to a U.N. detention unit in Tanzania, out of health considerations amid the coronavirus pandemic. Kabuga, 84, is likely to spend at least several months in The Hague and could then still be tried…
Read More
ICC delegation to visit Sudan to discuss case against Bashir

ICC delegation to visit Sudan to discuss case against Bashir

AN International Criminal Court delegation is to visit Sudan to discuss the cases of ousted president Omar al-Bashir and other former officials, the government has announced. The delegation, led by prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, will discuss "cooperation" with Sudan over the wanted men, the government said in a statement. The court said Bensouda and a delegation would be in Khartoum for a few days, for the court's first visit since Bashir was ousted. Bashir, who has been in jail in Khartoum since he was toppled after mass protests last year, has been indicted by the ICC for war crimes, genocide and…
Read More
Rwanda genocide survivors want speedy trial for Kabuga, but court faces delays

Rwanda genocide survivors want speedy trial for Kabuga, but court faces delays

CLEMENT UWIRIGIYAMANA A special U.N. tribunal in Tanzania should quickly try elderly tycoon Felicien Kabuga on charges of financing the 1994 Rwandan genocide, survivors said on Thursday, after France's top civil court ruled he could be handed over for prosecution. "The case of Kabuga should be speedy," Naphtal Ahishakiye, the executive secretary of genocide survivor organization Ibuka told Reuters by phone. He lost his parents and three brothers in the genocide. "He is elderly, I think a quick trial would enable the victims to get justice." But the tribunal in Tanzania's northern town of Arusha faces both legal challenges and…
Read More