Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements (if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, and Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies.

Scores killed, wounded in yet another in Israeli assault on Gaza, Hamas warns truce talks at risk

SCORES of Palestinians were killed or wounded in an Israeli airstrike in southern Gaza, leading to a second warning from Hamas that the intensifying Israeli offensive could derail ongoing ceasefire negotiations. 

According to Reuters, the airstrike targeted tents housing displaced families near a school in Abassan, east of Khan Younis.

The Israeli military said it was investigating the incident, while Hamas and Islamic Jihad reported that their fighters were engaged in fierce battles with Israeli forces using machine guns, mortars, and anti-tank missiles. Israel’s military confirmed close-quarter combat but did not comment on casualties, noting that over 150 fighters had been taken out of action in the past week, Reuters reported.

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh indicated that Israel’s renewed campaign could set back ceasefire talks to “square one,” despite senior U.S. officials’ efforts to broker a truce. Footage on social media showed families fleeing on donkey carts and trucks loaded with belongings, trying to escape areas under Israeli evacuation orders.

“Israel is forcing us to leave homes under fire,” said Um Tamer, a mother of seven, describing her family’s repeated displacements. “We can’t take it anymore, enough of death and humiliation. End the war now,” she pleaded.

Israeli tanks advanced into several Gaza City districts, including Shejaia, Sabra, and Tel Al-Hawa, sites of some of the most intense fighting in months. The Palestinian Red Crescent reported that all its medical clinics in Gaza City were out of service due to the evacuation orders, further straining the humanitarian situation.

READ:  At World Court, South Africa accuses Israel of genocide in Gaza

The ongoing conflict, which began in October, has led to a severe hunger crisis. Several children have recently died from malnutrition, underscoring the famine spreading throughout the enclave, as reported by UN-mandated independent human rights experts. In Khan Younis, Ghaneyma Joma feared for her son’s life due to starvation, exacerbated by the war, blocked crossings, and contaminated water.

In Al-Nuseirat, an early Tuesday airstrike on a multi-story house killed 17 people, including 14 children and a woman, according to Hamas. Neighbours helped medics recover bodies and search for survivors. “They are not safe in the schools nor the houses,” said local resident Yasser Abu Hamada.

Overall, more than 40 Palestinians were killed in Israeli airstrikes on Tuesday across various locations, including Gaza City, Al-Bureij, Deir Al-Balah, Al-Nuseirat, and Rafah, bringing the total Palestinian death toll to 38,243 since the conflict began nine months ago.

The war erupted on October 7 when Hamas-led militants infiltrated southern Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking around 250 hostages. Recent hopes for a ceasefire had emerged after Hamas accepted a key part of a U.S. proposal. Egyptian and Qatari mediators, backed by the U.S., have intensified their efforts, with talks set to resume in Doha. An Egyptian security delegation is expected to travel to Qatar to facilitate negotiations, aiming to reach a truce agreement soon.

By The African Mirror

MORE FROM THIS SECTION