AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER
NIGERIAN striker Asisat Oshoala became the first African Woman to lift the UEFA Women’s Champions League (UWCL) trophy as her Barcelona team trounced English Champions Chelsea 4-0.
Oshoala has made history by lifting Nigeria atop the mantle of having both male and female UEFA Champions League winners (Nwankwo Kanu, Findi George, and John Obi Mikel).
Barcelona’s women’s team were dominant throughout the season winning 26 Spanish La Liga games -without losing or sharing the spoils in a single fixture- and conceding a grand total of five league goals.
Oshoala firmly cements her name at the highest standard of women’s football, and the most decorated in Africa with her growing list of accolades:
- 2015 BBC Women Footballer of the Year
- 4x African Women’s Footballer of the Year
- 2014 African Women’s Championship Golden Ball
- 2017 Chinese Women’s Super League Top Scorer
- Under-20 Golden Boot and Golden Ball
- International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS)
- CAF Best Woman Player of the Decade (2011-2020)